Total Pageviews

Friday 9 September 2016

My place in the world-Spoken Word Tayla

What
is
my
place?

I am part Samoan.
A part Samoan year six girl.
A pacific Island pearl
But this is not my place in the world.
Unless you count liking the food.
It’s all tasty once chewed.
pankeke, taro and a good pork bun
Mmmm  that’s yum...


What
Is
My
place?

The closest I’ve been to Samoa is the Pacific Food Market in Mangere
My experiences aren’t many to vary
I guess the delicious smells that climb into my senses might be what Samoa smells like.
I’ve never seen many Samoans on a hunger strike.
I wouldn’t know.

What
Is
My
place?

Maybe I’ve felt disconnected with the world?
Because my ethnicities are swirled.
Disconnected with a world that is not part of who I am.
Wondering who even gives a damn.
The only thing connecting me - my supportive  Mum
Wondering what I will become
And my Samoan Step Dad.
The best role model I’ve ever had.




What
Is
My
place?

Maybe my place is Park Estate School?
I've heard it's cool even without a swimming pool.
My place here is that of whanau leader.
A motivator - a good reader
My school is not conventional
If I offend other schools - it’s not intentional
But Park Estate just can’t be beat
I use technology to make my learning concrete.

What
Is
My
place?

My place is to challenge people around me
To think outside the square
Because lets face it life’s not fair
I’m a  year six girl who likes a challenge.
Especially if the challenge is in my safe place.
For me Park Estate School is that base.            

What
Is
My
Place?

In my family my place is that of big sister
Although my situation is a bit of a tongue twister
See my brother and sister live with my dad
Far away in Levin is where he has his pad.
Sometimes it can be sad without my brother and sister around.
Makes me feel like I’m stuck on the ground



                                      


What
Is
My
Place?

Who knows what the future will hold.
It’s not like it’s been foretold.
But this you can be assured.
I will not be what I’ve been told.
I will step out and break the mould.
Another statistic I will not be.

My place will be defined
BY ME


                                                                                                            

6 comments:

  1. awsome tayla your rhyme's are on fleek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talofa Tayla,
    I am from St.Patrick's School wondering who wrote this amazing poem. This gave me the passion to express myself and read more of your blog posts. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much it took me a very long time but I got there in the end

      Delete
  3. Hi Tayla, I think that the way you are detriment to define your place in world by yourself is amazing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KiaOra Annika I really like that you enjoyed my speech what school do you go to?

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.